1. What does the position pay?
AmeriCorps members receive a living allowance based on the number of hours served. For the 2023-2024 school year:
- 1700 Hour (August 21, 2023 – August 2, 2024): Paid a total of $32,600 for the term of service, or $1,304 every two weeks
- 1200 Hour (August 21, 2023 – June 7, 2024): Paid a total of $22,820 for the term of service, or $1,086.67 every two weeks
2. How much is the Education Award?
AmeriCorps members receive an education award upon completion of their term of service. For the 2023-2024 school year:
- 1700 Hour = $6,895.00
- 1200 Hour = $4,826.50
3. What other benefits will I receive?
In addition to your living allowance, our AmeriCorps positions provide the following benefits:
- Health Insurance (for full-time positions serving 30+ hours/week)
- Extensive training and orientation
- Personalized professional skills development
- Education Award (upon successful completion)
- Travel reimbursement for workday mileage or bus pass
4. What requirements are there to be an AmeriCorps member?
Members on our project:
- Must be 18 years or older
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or have permanent resident status
- Must be able to pass AmeriCorps background check requirements
Additionally, MMSD requires all MMSD staff, MSCR staff, community partner staff and volunteers be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. To be fully vaccinated, one must have had two doses of Moderna or Pfizer vaccine or one dose of the Johnson and Johnson vaccine.
5. Will I be the only AmeriCorps member in the area?
You’re not alone! During the school year, we hope to have at least 16 AmeriCorps members who work as literacy tutors and bring community members into our schools as literacy tutors.
“In my position, I greatly enjoy the relationships with the kids. There is also so much support from the teachers and staff members at the school. Overall, it feels like a community and I love coming to serve every day!”
| AmeriCorps Member 2017-2018